Friday, September 18, 2009

My week of Movie Watching

Leon Morin, Priest – Jean-Pierre Melville’s 1961 meditation on faith and forbidden desire. An atheist widow (Emmanuelle Riva) goes to see a priest (Jean-Paul Belmondo) with the intention of having some sport with him. He ends up converting her, and causing her to fall in love with him. This one is not a typical Melville, with guns and trenchcoats. It’s good, if a bit talky.

Act of Violence - This one was a real treat. Directed by Fred Zinneman, it involves a crippled veteran (Robert Ryan) who swears revenge on the man who he believes betrayed him to the Nazis (Van Heflin). It starts out looking an awful lot like Cape Fear, but it evolves into something unexpected. Janet Leigh is here as Heflin's wife, and I frankly didn't recognize her (The credits are at the end). Just a great-looking Noir, it was shot by Bruce Surtees. Highly recommended.

5 comments:

Peteski said...

I'm sure I've seen "Act of Voilence" somewhere over the years, I'll have to got find another look however that "Leon Morin" is talky - but watch the extras first and you're in for a treat.

Jeff Duncanson said...

The Morin disc I have is a cheapo Russian version. I normally wouldn't buy something like that, cuz I've been burned before. Since I am a Melville nut, I went for it. I have to say it was a really good transfer with good subtitling.

Jeff Duncanson said...

By the way, thanks for all the traffic you have chased over my way. I love "this isn't happiness"

Squish said...

Act of Violence sounds great. Thanks for the tip. Just added it to me Zip list

Jeff Duncanson said...

You'll like it. Hopefully, you will write about it,as well! ;)