Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Marquee / Dialogue I Love

Why didn't you take off all your clothes? You could have stopped forty cars.

Well, ooo, I'll remember that when we need forty cars.

****************************

Perhaps you're interested in how a man undresses. You know, it's a funny thing about that. Quite a study in psychology. No two men do it alike. You know, I once knew a man who kept his hat on until he was completely undressed. Yeah, now he made a picture. Years later, his secret came out. He wore a toupee. Yeah. You know, I have a method all my own. If you notice, the coat came first, then the tie, then the shirt. Now, uh, according to Hoyle, after that, the, uh, pants should be next. There's where I'm different... I go for the shoes next. First the right, then the left. After that it's, uh, every man for himself.

****************************

Have you ever been in love, Peter?

Me?

Yes. Haven't you ever thought about it at all? It seems to me you, you could make some girl wonderfully happy.

Sure I've thought about it. Who hasn't? If I could ever meet the right sort of girl. Aw, where you gonna find her? Somebody that's real. Somebody that's alive. They don't come that way anymore. Have I ever thought about it? I've even been sucker enough to make plans. You know, I saw an island in the Pacific once. I've never been able to forget it. That's where I'd like to take her. She'd have to be the sort of a girl who'd... well, who'd jump in the surf with me and love it as much as I did. You know, nights when you and the moon and the water all become one. You feel you're part of something big and marvelous. That's the only place to live... where the stars are so close over your head you feel you could reach up and stir them around. Certainly, I've been thinking about it. Boy, if I could ever find a girl who was hungry for those things...

Take me with you, Peter. Take me to your island. I want to do all those things you talked about.

You'd better go back to your bed.

I love you. Nothing else matters. We can run away. Everything will take care of itself. Please, Peter, I can't let you out of my life now. I couldn't live without you.

You'd better go back to your bed.

I'm sorry.

****************************

Oh, er, do you mind if I ask you a question, frankly? Do you love my daughter?

Any guy that'd fall in love with your daughter ought to have his head examined.

Now that's an evasion!

She picked herself a perfect running mate - King Westley - the pill of the century! What she needs is a guy that'd take a sock at her once a day, whether it's coming to her or not. If you had half the brains you're supposed to have, you'd done it yourself, long ago.

Do you love her?

A normal human being couldn't live under the same roof with her without going nutty! She's my idea of nothing!

I asked you a simple question! Do you love her?

YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

****************************

No comments: